Essays From The Church of Theists Suck:
The Bible is fit for worship?
I do not accept the Bible as Godâ€™s word because it contains thousand of errancies and contradictions that can not be solved, only rationalized. I refuse to accept Jesus as my personal savior, for his behavior and teachings often expose one who should be escaped and not worshipped. I ask that you read this pamphlet in light of the bibleâ€™s teachings; Christians should be â€œopen to reasonâ€� (James 3:17 RSV), that we should â€œreason togetherâ€� (Isaiah 1:18) and â€œhe who hates correction will dieâ€� (Proverbs 15:10) to understand my perspective that the bible has MANY shortcomings.
1. According to your Bible I am to believe that human kind is sinful for Adam and Eve ate the fruit of knowledge. Why are we being punished for the original sin? After all, they ate the forbidden fruit, we didnâ€™t. Reason would lead one to say itâ€™s their problem, not ours. Even the bible contradicts itself by claiming in Deuteronomy 24:16, â€œchildren shall not be punished for the sins of their fathers.â€�
2. We are told that the Bible has no scientific errors and is utterly perfect/protected, yet it says the bat is a bird (Leviticus 11:13 & 19), hares chew the cud (Leviticus 11:5-6), and some fowl (Leviticus 11:20-21) and insects (Leviticus 11:22-23) have four legs.
3. Heaven is supposed to be a perfect place. It is of course, the place you strive for and name â€œsalvationâ€�. Yet, it experienced a war (Revelation 12:7). How can there be a war in a perfect place and if it happened before why couldnâ€™t it happen again? Why would I want to go to a place in which war can occur? Thatâ€™s exactly what Iâ€™m trying to escape, arenâ€™t you?
4. We are told salvation is obtained by faith alone (John 3:18 & 36) and then the Bible claims that it is repentance that shall save us (2 Peter 3:9) yet Jesus told a man to follow the Commandments-Matthew 19:16-1 8 (saving by works)-if he wanted eternal life. So which way is it and how do you know your belief is the correct one?
5. According to the text there are 29 cities listed in Joshua 15:21-32. One need only count them to see that biblical math is not to be trusted. The total is 36.
6. Surely you donâ€™t believe Ecclesiastes 1:9 RSV (â€œWhat has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sunâ€�)? How many cities had an atomic bomb dropped on them prior to 1945, and how many people walked on the moon before 1969?
7. If the Bible is our moral guide, then how can it make pornographic statements such as: â€œ...they may eat their own dung and drink their own piss with youâ€� (2 Kings 18:27)? Also consult Numbers 31 where a whole tribe of people, including the elderly and children are slaughtered. The only survivors were the virginal women, who were later raped by the â€œjust and perfectâ€� Moses and his men. Is that what you want your children reading on Sunday?
8. If God created everything, (Colossians 1:16, Ephesians 3:9, Revelation 4:11 & John 1:3), then he did create the worldâ€™s evil (Isaiah 45:7, Lamentations 3:38). Thus, he is responsible. Any being who could create situations such as rape, death, malnutrition, disease, molestation and murder is certainly not fit for worship.
9. For justice to exist, punishment must fit the crime. No matter how many bad deeds one commits in this world, there is a limit. Yet, hellâ€™s punishment is infinitely greater. Itâ€™s eternal. Shouldnâ€™t a sinner suffer until remorse is felt and the crime is atoned for? What â€œjusticeâ€� is there in infinite damnation?
10. Jesus said, â€œwhosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fireâ€� (Matthew 5:22). Yet, he himself did so repeatedly, as Matthew 27:19, Luke 11:40 & 12:20 show. Shouldnâ€™t he be in danger of hell too? Jesus also told us to â€œLove your enemies; bless them that curse you," but ignored his own advice by repeatedly denouncing his opposition. Matthew 12:34 (â€œ0 generation of vipersâ€�), and Matthew 23 :27 (â€œ... hypocrites... ye are like unto whited sepulchres.â€œ) are excellent examples of hypocrisy. If Jesus himself is a sinner by his own admission then surely he can not be the â€œperfect lamb of godâ€�.
11. Except those of biased Christian writers, there isnâ€™t one writing outside the Bible in all of ancient history that clearly refers to Jesus of Nazareth. The decision to dedicate my life to a deity requires at least one shred of conclusive evidence. Your lord knows non believers exist as a result of this, yet he makes no attempt to supply proof. How can the bible claim god wants all in heaven if he doesnâ€™t make efforts to ensure that we all believe in him?
12. Paul says Christianity lives or dies on the Resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:14-17). Yet Jesus made many promises concerning his return during the lifetime of his then followers. (Matthew 16:28: â€œThere be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdomâ€�. Matthew 23:36, 24:34, Mark.9:1, 13:30, Luke 9:27, 21:32 & John 21:22) None of these prophecies have come true. Does this not make Jesus a false prophet? If so wouldnâ€™t that make Christianity invalid?
13. I find the idea that a man had to die for my sins revolting. If God was truly omnipotent he could have simply forgiven us. What kind of deity, would execute one child in order to forgive itâ€™s others? Modern society would call an individual like this sadistic, insane and cruel. Surely, you would not worship a child killer, why do you expect me to? Would you find a judge worthy of the title who would allow my child to be executed in lieu of my sins?
14. John 14:12 states a follower in Jesus can perform any of his works and do it even greater. If you continue to insist I believe in Jesus, it is only fair I may ask of you to show just how strong your faith is. After all, you would be my â€œmentorâ€� in Christ. Iâ€™m not a believer as of yet, but surely you are. Would you mind perhaps resurrecting a dead relative or walking on water?
15. Okay, obviously you didnâ€™t do number 14 and backed out with the â€œthis is metaphoricalâ€� excuse. Surely you can try Mark 16:17-1 8 which says believers can drink â€œany deadly thingâ€� and â€œit shall not hurtâ€� them. But I donâ€™t think you would be naive enough to drink any arsenic offered. Perhaps Iâ€™m wrong and you would be willing to test the Bookâ€™s veracity-â€�lay it on the lineâ€� so to speak?
16. All right, so now you have backed out of two of my questions. Iâ€™m starting to think you donâ€™t really care about my salvation as much as you claim. Well, unlike your Jehovah, I shall be kind and offer a third chance at redemption. Consider Jesusâ€™ teaching in Luke 6:30 â€œGive to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.â€� Perhaps, if you emptied your wallet and â€œgive of theeâ€� I may seriously ponder accepting Jesus as my savior. A far greater number of Biblical discrepancies can be found on the web at the following addresses: